10 Important Things To Consider When You're Buying Curtains
These are easy ways to help you find the window treatments that are just right for you.
People say that eyes are the windows of the soul, some decorators say the windows are the soul of the room. Curtains make a room — but only when chosen correctly. When it comes to window treatments, it's a matter of color and fabric, length and lining, and custom-made versus off-the-shelf. With so many decisions, it's easy to feel overwhelmed, so we asked a few pros for advice on narrowing down the options and selecting the right curtains for your home.
Color And Fabric
If they're too heavy, they may not fold crisply when drawn; too light and they may not fall well. Two rules of thumb are as below:
- When holding fabrics up to a window, pleating it like an accordion at the top and let it drape, If it starts to flare like a piece of crinoline, then it's not going to fall nicely on the window.
- Work with a big sample, if possible, at least 2 yards, since a smaller piece may not show the fabric's true drape.
- Faux silk tends to be the most durable, and in a particularly sunny room, it doesn't deteriorate as quickly as real silk.
- Some fabrics can help keep out the cold. Many hotels use suede, velvet, tapestry or tweed since their weight helps block light and keep heat in. Still, nearly any fabric can be interlined with bump, a thick, insulating felt material. And interlining — a piece of fabric slipped between the lining and the face fabric — can also help prolong the life of the curtains.
- Buy lined curtains or curtain linings, especially when the fabric is silk. If silk is unlined, it will rot. This is the reason why lining and interlining are what give curtains their body and fullness.
Length And Lining
Before you take out the tape measure, decide how high above the window you'd like the curtains to begin. Hanging panels higher than the window will give a sense of height to the room, which also makes your windows look like bigger. Designers often hang curtains about six inches above the window frame, but for a dramatic look, some go higher.
Measure from the top of the window (plus the added inches of height where the curtains will hang from) to the floor. For a more traditional look, with the curtain slightly puddled on the floor, you'll want to add another two or three inches to your length. For a modern, crisp look, have the panel fall flush with the floor.
When measuring the width of your window, be sure to add four to eight inches on both sides and double the total number to ensure curtain fullness. Then you won't block a lot of window glass when the curtains are open, and they won't get in the way.
If you plan to use the curtains to shut out the sun, those extra inches around the perimeter of your window frame will also help block out any creeping light.
Ready Made Curtains And Custom Window Treatments
Custom window treatments offer many benefits: You can customize the dimensions to your window size and create a tailored look, like a perfectly-fitted suit. Custom panels come in endless design options, from material to header style. With these options, though, comes a considerable price difference from off-the-shelf curtain panels.
If custom curtains just aren't in your budget, pros suggest spending a little more money on high-quality retail window treatments. Of course, The best bet is to find the curtain factory shop like Anady Top Space Design who allows customers to capture the look of a custom design and the product of high quality at affordable prices.
You can save huge money. Because all of their products are manufactured in-house by their very own team. Instead of a middleman, they offer HUGE SAVINGS on curtains and window treatments in every curtain style and are able to keep costs low and give the savings back to customers, guaranteeing you a top quality product at a brilliant price.
Washer Machine Friendly Vs. Dry Clean Only
Determine whether you're going to buy dry-clean only or washer machine friendly curtains — it will save you time and money in the long run. Keep in mind that you can ruin high-quality curtains by trying to wash them yourself.
In-Home Vs. Online Consultations
Get your curtains right with a home consultation. Some companies will send a consultant to your home to help you decide on colors, textures and finishes that blend perfectly with your design — saving you a few trips to the store.
If you prefer working online, Anady Top Space Design is highly recommended, where there are a team of professional designers and a dedicated & knowledgeable team of customer service advisors to help you pick out the perfect curtains for your space. After, you can place an order simply on the curtain store of Anady Top and the items you choose will be delivered straight to your door.— saving your time and money.